Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create a view on an angle 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I will do the best that I can since I do not know what version of NX you are on.
go to you command finder (Help (pull-down) -> Command Finder) and enter Project View
Pick the one from the list with the arrow.
Try you best to follows the instruction that come up on your dialog box, and ask more questions on here if you need to.
junk33_cleq06.png

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

I'm using nx 11. I want a view looking into a surface (not perpendicular to it) at a 5 degree angle so I can dimension the radius.

Can you illustrate this ? ( example image)
If none of the methods in NX drafting produces the view you want, you can, with the drawing as the displayed part, switch to Modeling application ( the drawing will no longer be visible) then orient the view as you desire, then : Menu - View- Operation -Save as...
Name the view "something".
Start Drafting application again
under Add Base View the view you saved will be possible to select.
NX will then place a copy of the model view on the drawing.

Regards,
Tomas

Create the line you need. In NX 9 you can still add non-sketch basic curves (if you dig down and add the command to a tool bar).
Use this and place view, going back to erase line from parent view.
This seems simpler to me that re-orienting and saving a model view.
That said, it would be nice if a simpler way was available, and I'm all ears to a better solution!

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he needs a line at 95° to the X-axis of the drawing's CSYS. If that's the case, use Add Projected View and under the Hinge Line section of the dialog, change the Vector Option pulldown from Inferred to Defined. Under that pulldown will be the option to Specify Vector - click the smaller button (Vector Dialog) which brings up another dialog that allows you to define the vector. In this case we know you have a line that is exactly 5° and you want a vector (angle) perpendicular to that so using this Vector Dialog, we can change the top pulldown to At Angle to XC. Since we have the given 5°, we simply need to add 90° to that, so enter 95 in the Angle input and click OK or MB2. You will now be taken back to the Project View dialog and you should now see the Projected View dragging around with whatever preview you have set. In the Placement section of the dialog, make sure the Method pulldown is set to Hinge. You should now be able to drag the view out and drop it.

The description is more complicated than actually doing it, IMO so I attached an .avi.

NX11_Projected.zip

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Tim, i did not think that i would succeed in describing that method, so instead i took the simple trail ...:)
But this is the way it should be done.

/ Tomas

Put the two settings (below) to Inferred and notice if the new view will index in place (to the angle you want) when moving around the parent view before placing it, then click your mouse button set the view.

junk77_k9godz.png

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

Tomas,

I've done it both ways - I've grown to appreciate Associative Projected Views, as you can Edit them should the parent view change such that the Projection angle is thrown off. It's not always easy but at least it can be done versus creating a whole new view.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP8
GM GPDL 11-A.3.3
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back