Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Drafting Component for View of Master Model Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singsonite

Automotive
May 5, 2011
US
I was scanning through some of the Customer Defaults in NX6, and came across one I didn't understand.

Customer Defaults -> Drafting -> Extras -> Drawing

Under this tab I have 1 option called Drawing Work Flow. The text after the check box reads "Create Drafting Component for View of Master Model Part". The question mark after the text when highlighted states; "This option determines whether or not drafting components will be created when creating a view of the master model part."

Now maybe I have just been looking at this too long, and all chance of logic or understanding has faded (I don't rule it out). But I can't seem to grasp what will happen when I check this box, and I can't find any documentation on it in the help either. If anybody can provide assistance, I would be greatful.

Best Regards,

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors
Advanced Engineering Solutions Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, what this option does is control the behavior when you're creating a Master Model Drawing and you would like to add an extra view of the same Master Model part but you want to manipulate it as if it were it's own separate Component. Without this option set all of the views created from the same Master Model part will be linked to the original Drawing Component. However, irrespective of this setting, if you add a view of some OTHER Part Model, other than the Drawing's Master Model, a separate 'For Reference Only' component will be creaeted. But if this option is set, then even if you add view using the same Master Model Part, a separate 'For Reference Only' component will be created.

Perhaps if I describe a typical case where this can be of value.

Let's say have an assembly which comes assembled a certain way but it also has one or more alternative Arrangements, either with the components in different than the default positions or even with alternative parts. And you would like to make a Drawing based on the 'default' version but which also shows some additional views showing one or more of the alternative Arrangements but of course you don't want these alternative parts to mess of the Parts List, such as this example drawing where this assembly could have come with an alternative style handwheel:

DrawingExample.png

Well, even if this Customer Default option was NOT set you can already add an additional view showing a different alternative, like in the example shown above, however, when you add that additional view you have to decide RIGHT THEN AND THERE what Arrangement you want to show. So if you add the view and then change your mind, you're stuck. You'd have to delete the view and start over. However, if the Customer Default option had been set, then this extra view will be created using a separate 'For Reference Only' Drawing Component which, since it's independent, you can now change its Arrangement anytime that you wish.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you John. That was clear to the understanding. Now that you have explained it, I am having a hard time thinking of a situation where you would not want this option checked.

Best Regards,

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors

I guess the biggest reason to NOT have this option enabled is that when it's ON an additional Drawing Component is ALWAYS added to the Assembly Navigator even if what you were doing could have been handled by simply adding an additional view generated from the already loaded Drawing Component. Granted, there are times when having that extra Drawing Component available (as I mentioned above) really helps, but to some people it looks redundant and for others it's just a source of questions which they would simply like to avoid. So we made it optional since at one time it wasn't and after a bunch of complaints we decided to add the Customer Default setting.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John,
why flat-pattern when inserted into an drawing is considered as 'Drawing Component' ?
Flat-pattern is a master model view, like top, front, etc.

For Singsonite :
I suggest to not set this option, because if set you aren't able to macke exoloded views.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC9.1

To John,
If an additional Drawing Component is added, will the effect the object count on a parts list?

To Cubalibre00,
Good tip on the option. I had not considered the exploded view. I do wonder if you could still get your exploded view through an arrangement. Not the most ideal approach, but it might work in a pinch.

Thanks for the input.

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back