Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create part from a sketch in an assembly 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDesg

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2005
US
I have created a 3dSketch in my top level assembly that I would like to "export" to a part so that I may use it as a path for a sweep. Is there a way to do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems to me you did it backwards. What you should have done was insert > Component > New Part. then draw you 3D sketch inside that part. I'm not sure you can make that 3D sketch associative with a part since it was created in an assembly. Maybe a convert entities might work once you have inserted a new part.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Insert a new part in your assembly. Then CONVERT ENTITIES fom your assembly sketch to a sketch in your new part. Then you're good to go.
But next time don't do it bass- ackwards... [dazed]

Windows XP / Wireless Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.1 / SpaceBall 5000
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

There is nothing wrong with creating sketches (2D or 3D) in an assy. It is one of the premises of using Skeleton or Layout Sketches in the "Top Down" method of design.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

CBL makes a good point... I guess it depends on your design intent. I've routed tubing thru large equipment layouts by the method I described. But maybe your approach works better for your layout.

I just like saying BASS ACKWARDS... [spin2]

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

If you want to copy the sketch (non-associatively) into a separate part, you can also use the usual copy-n-paste method.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Thanks for the help. I started a new part while in the assembly and have made my sketch. Now, how do I get out of this "grayed and translucent assembly" mode?

"Editing a Part in an Assembly"

Look for that in the help menu. There should be something to CLICK to get back to your assembly.

Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back