Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create PDF files by sending to Ghostscript - doesn't seem to work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recneps

Automotive
Mar 14, 2001
US
On a Pro/E user group for Atlanta, I found a step-by-step process for enabling Pro/E to create a PDF file through a created button on the Drawing menu. It doesn't seem to be working for me, though. Has anyone else tried this process, and has it worked for you?

The website for the user group is
...this is where the instructions are.

Thanks,
Spencer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I made it work. A little tweaking of the process described on that website, and now I have wrapped it all up into a .zip file, where all of the necessary files are archived, along with detailed instructions. It works GREAT - now non-Pro/E users can look at drawing files and print them out without having cumbersome print books to search through.

What exactly did you tweak?
It looks a little like you would have to go through the mapkey and make sure everything was properly written.
I would be interested to know just how much tweaking was involved, also, did you have to re-set the changes you made to the menu_def and config.pro files? :)I
Pro/E.......the only way to draw!

DevO,
In the acrobat.pcf file (plotter configuration file), I had to modify the line starting with 'plotter_command' so that it was pointing to the right directory for my installation. Also, I looked at the mapkey command that was shown on the website and instead of pasting the text into my config.pro file, I just created my own mapkey, named it 'acr', and followed the logic that the original mapkey followed (File>Print>Adjust Plotter Configuration File...etc). For some reason, it only works completely automated if the ProE drawing file is on my local hard drive. If the file is on a network drive, I have to physically change the .pst file extension on the file it creates, then open it in GhostView, and Print it to the 'writepdf' printer from GhostView. A bit convoluted this way, but it works. There may be a UNC path I can add to the batch file that would help here, but I have not had time to mess with it much.

Spencer

Thanks!
I will try that.
We were taking the file and bringing it into Photoshop to make the PDF file.
It worked, but was a little cumbersome.
Hopefully, I can use this to speed up the process.

Thanks Again,
Devan Pro/E.......the only way to draw!

To all who are interested:

It´s only a click away.... ;-)
Why not just setting up acrobat distiller printer under windows print manager. It directly prints into pdf-file. You should setup different printer sizes so the pdf would have the right scale too.

We had to install the acrobat distiller because of PDM purposes.... LOL

vaiobrother
s.koch@parker-emd.com

Advantage of GhostScript over Distiller is that GS is free. Adobe has been hosing people for years now selling this capability when it is really only a slightly different format than a postscript printer file.

Regarding the sizes - I am working on an input line that will request the sheet size and use that in the plotter configuration file. Then the process will be press PDF button (in ProE) and enter sheet size...and Voila.

Spencer

Recneps,

I'm having troubles finding this site My browser says that it can't find it? I'm extremely interested in finding the instruction you spoke of. Exporting to PDF would make life sooooooo much easier. Thanx

Felix

Felix,
The site is there - possible that your IT folks have "moderated" it into oblivion? Try getting to it at home.

Spencer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back