Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create spiral bevel gear geometry in Pro/Engineer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssnmi

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2002
GB
Does anybody know how to create the gear geometry for spiral bevel gears and or gear geometry on a worm wheel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best way that I have found is to create a helical or bevel or any type of gear for that matter is to create a surface (quilt) of the tooth form on a make datum and pattern the form depending on what type of gear you are producing. The patterned surface can take advantage of some of the more advanced surface creations such as var section sweep (very useful for crown bevel gears). Once you pattern the surface you can use cut on quilt and ref pattern the cut.

I find the best way to model gear teeth is to create the tooth profile by creating a curve from the equations option in the curve creation menu. Then use the curve to define the shape of your solid.

Hi Jssnmi, Why reinvent the wheel? Goto and do a search in the "Parts" pages for gears. I did a quick search and found 2 worm gear models and a bunch-o-others. These models are downloadable. Use the Model Player in Pro/E to investigate how the gear was created. Redefine the features and steal the sections used to create specific sketches. Have you also searched the PTC knowledge base for suggested techniques on gear geometry creation... give that a spin. Remember: Cut and Paste your way to success!!!! If I helped ya, gimme a star. If this is not enough help, let me know and I can snoop around some more. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back