Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a LIMIT for translations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrunt

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2005
US
I was wondering if it was possible in Pro/E to limit how far one part can translate in an assembly. For example if I were to create a cylinder, pin, etc. connection... is it possible to limit how far that part can translate or rotate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TheGrunt,

Use the joint axis settings to enable those limits. You will need to be in Mechanism mode and select the joint axis from either the model tree or the icon in the graphics area. Unfortunately, in WF2 the limits are NOT parameterized.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks Matt.

Do you know if in WF3 a parameter option will be available or better yet a way to pick limit references such as surfaces or planes?

Depending on the geometry, you can create a cam connection or a slot connection to define the limits of translation.

A straight datum curve on one part and a datum point on the other point will give you a basis for the slot connection. The datum curve's length can be controlled by a datum plane or dimension.

Basically in the project I am woeking on I have two linear actuators (SMC) and I added connections to them to create motion and I was hoping to set up some sort of linear translation limits that would be referenced off the hard stops located on the cylinder. My reason for doing this would be so if the hard stops would move the limits would change with it.

Do you think this is even possible to do in WF2? I don't have alot of time spent in Pro's Mechanism app. so maybe this is something easy that I can't figure out.

TheGrunt,

WF3 will indeed have far more parametization in mechanism mode. I am looking forward to it.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Based on your description, the slot connection is probably the way to go (in WF2). Since you can create a datum curve to reference the stops, you can change the size of the cylinder body and the curve should follow suit, thus changing the slot, and therefore the translation limits.

It would be great to see parameters like this made available in other modeling modes of Pro/E. Having things like Joint Axis limits and regeneration values available for Family Tables and such would be a HUGE step.

The little time I've had with WF3 has shown some steps in the right direction, but needless to say, I'm cautiously optimistic...

Mark,

Neat suggestion with the slot. Good work-around with the slot length being able to be paramterized. I will have to remember that.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back