Creating a Sketch from Sheet Metal Design to create a Part Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeRepeteur

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2023
US
Yo,

Back at y'all with another question that is probably more simple than I think... I'm currently working on a project to create some Aluminum trim and decided to use the Sheet Metal tool in SolidWorks as we use a Bending Machine here to get desired angles/hem's. A photo of the Side Profile that I designed can be seen below:

Angled_Side_Profile_z9cdst.png

Here is where I am running into some issues; I would like to create a Part Profile for this trim so I can easily recreate it for other desired lengths. Is there a way to take the side profile that is shown above and have SolidWorks Auto-Generate lines so that I can create a new part and then create a Part Profile from it? Or is there a way to create a Part Profile right from the side view of the Sheet Metal part I created?

Just trying to figure out something more accurate than tracing as the numbers don't match when I try to recreate the side profile with my own sketch on top of the existing part.

Cheers,
LR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used Convert Entities after watching a YouTube video which ended up doing what I needed it to do. I appreciate your help though.

I was trying to create it without having to redo the entire piece, so using the Sheet Metal part as a template. Using Convert Entities brought the edges I needed from the Sheet Metal to the sketch plane and I was able to copy them into a new part file and create a part profile for myself.

Cheers,
LR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back