Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a solid from a Surface IGES/STEP file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarlath

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2007
US
We utilize many components from suppliers who send us files in STEP & IGES formats. On occasion, our suppliers will send us these models as a surface representation only to prevent customers from having internal details (Despite a confidentiality agreement, go figure). When imported to UG they come in as unparameterized features which are surface representations. Is there an easy way of creating a solid from such a feature? The parts are relatively complex being machined from a casting and with assembled components (into a simple surface entity).

Currently using NX 2.0 (Not by choice...)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have run into the same problem before. The way I would get around this would be to extract all of the faces from the surface model. After that sew them together and if you're lucky you'll get a solid model..

Hope this works for you.

Brookey

You don't have to extract prior to sewing unless you want the surfaces to remain in their original unsewn condition for some reason.

Just sew the surfaces and if they enclose a volume AND all the edges are within the modeling distance tolerance, you will get a solid model after sewing.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

That might be a result of the IGES import settings in NX rather than the data itself. There is a setting in the IGES import options that will allow for automatic sewing of sheets during import. I prefer to turn it off.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back