Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a surface and designing a road on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed137

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2014
CA
Hello, I'm new to autocad and I had a couple of questions hoping you guys could help. I have an as-built of an area and I wanted to make a surface out of this data so I could build a roadway on it. Any tips? Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Land Desktop or Civil 3D. You can get the surface elevated by the surveyor. If plain CAD you have to design from a plan view in 2d.

B+W Engineering and Design | Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

You don't need 3D for such work, you can do such work in 2D, however before you do and if you did not have a surveying course, you should consult a surveying textbook by such authors as Davis and Foote and published by McGraw-Hill covering such subjects as profile, cross sections, curves. Less extensive coverage of the subjects that I mentioned would be covered in Civil Drafting Technology by Terence M Shumaker and published by Pearson/Prentice Hall. 2D drafting, as far as I am concerned is more challenging because it allows you to visualize about the directions and spacing of the elevation lines where you have fills and cuts, on the roadway on which you may have a crown and curbing, and in the drainage ditches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back