Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Tube in an Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondgajewski

Industrial
Aug 4, 2015
US
In an assembly how do I pick a part to begin my pipe/tube run? I have an asm file that is the entire plant with equipment. I have a part drawing, in the asm, for piping. When I edit in place the piping file, I can't select any of the equipment in the plant layout part file. I can activate the part, but that doesn't give me a starting point or reference to utilize for the tube/pipe run.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to reference other parts in the assembly for a profile or path sketch (probably a 3D sketch) you need to make sure "peers" is on. While in-place editing the part go to tools/edge locate/peers.

I see that for 3D sketching but not in XpresRoute and can't figure out how to add the command to XPRESROUTE. The "Edge Select" only shows up on 3D sketch's menu.

You can tell me if Xpresroute is/isn't a better tool for tubing runs. Doesn't it have smart ends/fittings, etc.?
Anyway, yes, if I was just modeling a tube with a plain part that occupies more than one plane I would use 3D sketches. 3D sketches are new in ST7 I believe. Prior to that you had to generate a lot of planes and sketches in order to construct a multidimensional tube. A rather big PITA.

That is correct. Both tube and piping have "connectors" built into the process. But, you/I can't select other components as reference points. (initial post)

You shouldn't have any problems locating other parts - but they have to be activated.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back