Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Chamfer with Variable Length - Pic Inside! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroengr12345

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2005
US
Trying to create a chamfer that goes from 0.1 to 0.05 at a 45 degree angle - here is a pic of the part :

I have entire part modeled except for this variable chamfer. I am using V5R4 and only see option for straight chamfer. There is one for variable fillet, but this isnt fillet. I need variable chamfer! Does this just not exist in V5R4??

Much thanks in advance.

Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah I thought of drafting the face, but Im confused as to which is "faces to draft", neutral element, propagation, and pulling direction. No idea what those should all be.

I was thinking apply a chamfer to that edge, then draft the chamfer? But its not working...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not a CATIA user, but in UG we would work around this by creating a surface blend (a blend that does not attach to the solid) with variable radii & using the tangent edges to create a sweep between the 2 to create a flat chamfer-like surface, then trim (Split) away from the solid. The length would now be controlled by the blend. Hope that makes some sense.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

catiajim (Aerospace) Feb 24, 2005
How about creating a Sweep Surface and using that to Split your solid?

Ahh - a feature Im not familiar with. Ive never used sweep command, could you elaborate a bit on how I would use it to do that? Much thanks!!

Paul

I have 1 follow up question -

I created the swept surface, looks just like in the link Eric sent. But now how do I remove the material to make the part have the chamfer? This may be a stupid question, but how exactly do you use the sweep as your cutting tool?

I just created plane on the swept surface and used boolean operations to remove that material. Is that how its supposed to work, or is there some way to make the sweep command do the cut all in 1 shot?

Thanks very much for helping!!

Paul

aeroengr12345,

Just go back in PartDesign, use Split (under surface based feature) and use the sweep to split the solid

indocti discant et ament meminisse periti
Eric N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back