Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Core/Cavity

Status
Not open for further replies.

airkidd

Industrial
Aug 9, 2002
US
I am trying to create the parting line for the core and cavity of my mold. Here are the problems i am having.

1. My part is an .igs file that comes in as a surface. It will not solidify because there is a small overlap of two surfaces. I cant figure out how to repair it because the diagnosis fix does not work. Also, if i delete the overlapping face and use either a filled surface or a lofted surface it will not knit together.

2. I cannot get a complete radiated surface all the way around the part by either picking all the edges or using the propagate tangent edges. Both come up with errors. I can get the parting line with about 4 radiated surfaces but not one.

3. If i attempt to knit a radiated surface to a solid part surface file by using the part as the seed, i get the error: the radiate surface cannot subdivide the body.

Any answers to these questions, or any other ideas for creating core and cavity would be appreaciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1- Do you testing a increase or decreased a system option in IGS import command? Maybe this simple adjust make a diference between edges the surfeces and reduce the overlaping surfaces in IGS.
2- Other soluction are ask to sender a IGS file, to configure a differents parameters before to make a igs file.
3- The best option are do you use a SAME adjust the sender igs file program.

Regards
[bigglasses] FerSW

Perhaps you would like to try IMOLD for SolidWorks. This add-in is a complete mold design solution and has recently achieved Gold Partner Status.

"IGS sux" B-( . Try to get the file you want to import as a parasolids file. Otherwise you will have to find a software package to heal and repair the igs data.
You can try cutting and patching, but it hardly ever works for me.

Crashj 'limits of the system' Johnson

Try this,
Take that Iges file re-export as a parosolid" round trip" then bring it right back in. This has some inherent healing powers.

Have you triedimporting with Rhinocad? You can get a trial version at their website. This product works excellent at importng IGES.

Hello,

SolidWorks is an excellent data exchange tool. Typically when there are problems with IGES files, the problem is caused by the software that created the IGES file.

My tip would be to find out what package was used to model the IGES file and to try to get a more robust format (e.g. STEP or Parasolid). If IGES is your only option, you may need to get a more accurate file (14 digits accuracy is recommended). If you still have problems, the tips outlined by the other users should help. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back