Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating custom sheet formats 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon4

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2002
US
Am I missing something?
Is there an easy way to create a custom sheet format with out modifying and saving the out of the box examples provided?
I'm hoping to just open an existing Acad dwg Title block, and save it after conversion as a slddrt file.

Thoughts?

Falcon4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

falcon4

Start by making a dxf of your acad title block. Insert that into the edit sheet format, and you should be almost ready to save. If you have a special logo, you can insert that as a jpeg to save on file size.

When you make your DXF drawings in AutoCAD do pay attention to where your Origin is at. Because the way you save your DXF and the position of the origin makes a difference when you import it into a SW drawing format. the SW Origin is over written by the AutoCAD DXF file.

I just had a customer send me a DXF file and when I imported into SW the origin was replaced. Instead of the origin being in the lower left corner it was now located in the middle but below the sheet. Off by quite a nit.

This isn't a be deal, but if you ever get to a point of doing any API placement of Sheet information and you want to place data in there using X,Y,Z Delta call outs. Your 0,0,0 will be way off and you will spend more time trying to figure it out then you would if you would have just placed the DXF file in the proper position in AutoCAD the first time.

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [worm]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I created all my sheet formats in AutoCAD and opend them is SW as dwg's. They came in quite fine, all it was left to do was to change some line thicknesses, some fonts here and there and link the notes to my custom properties. No DXF conversion.

Andrew

Hello everyone,

I am currently running 2004 sp0, and have created some custom Bill of Materials. Creating them was pretty self explanatory except removing one of the predefined columns. I can delete it but when I try to save as template and re-insert it, the column re-appears, any suggestions?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back