Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating details in catiav4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk123

Automotive
Jul 29, 2003
US
hi, I am a user of catiav 4.2.4
I want to create a detail say a drawing sheet of standard format A1 A2 etc..
in the detail i create lines and the appropriate texts.
the texts which are variable are left with a hyphen in textd2. when i bring the detail to the master workspace and place it , i should be able to edit only the texts.

when i erase the particular detail the associated text created or modified should also be erased

i have an example done like this, but i myself am not able to do it like this

how do i doit this way

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One way to do this, is to make two details: one with the format and text that will remain unchanged, the the second detail containing the editable text (containing hyphens).

Then DITTO the format detail onto the text detail.

To place the format onto the drawing, COPY the text detail. I suggest you make a special 'format' view just for the format and titleblock text, with the view scale of 1/1.

There are better ways to do formats, but the above method is one of the easiest.

Hi,

I think you should be using SYMBOLS as opposed to details as only the part of the symbol you want to edit can be editted.

Regards zimbaent

DETAIL WORK SPACE is just that: The problem is that you can only change whats in the detail only when your in the original work space environment. Meaning that you cant modify any elements outside once you apply the detail into the master workspace whether 2D or 3D. The princible of a detail is that it is created in the detail and then ditto'd into the master work space like say a bolt! You have the same bolt ditto'd 10 places in the master work space and if you want to change the diameter from one inch to two inches, you go into the original detail and change it and then when you go back and look at the master all ten bolts will be two inches in diameter.The detail function has many design advantages, most people never utilize. Also you can stack details within each other and after application into the master workspace you can expload them to the first level and substact them from anothe single solid like you would in spot facing a tappered beam or web so that each area of the detail will have a different cross section to show actual mechining operation depicting the final shape of your design. AIRPLANEANDY@YAHOO.COM

In your detail workspace, go to textd2 function, click on more. You should see the following buttons, KEY, IDE, ATT,FIL.
Click on KEY. In the TEXT pop-up window, click on DETAIl.
Select where you want to put the text, now just leave ONE space and then a $ sign. Once you hit enter and you will see - appear. Once you place the detail in your master workspace you will now be able to change the text. The text fields that are not required can be removed by going to TEXTD2->Manage->Visualtn->SHOW TXT ,then in the commandline enter *txtn. It will remove all the text fields that are NOT required. To get it back again,instead of SHOW TXT use BLNK LIN and again enter *txtn in the command line.If you now erase
the detail in your master workspace, it will also erase the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back