Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating draft on a surface part. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HieuDang

Automotive
Sep 12, 2002
CA
Hi there,
Majority of the time I have been working with solid. I usualy create my parts from a part print. With building it from scatch I am able to do what I want, especially in a solid format.
I recently got a part which is in the surface (face) format. The part required to have draft. I do not have the print to go by, to build it from scratch (Solid). The customer just want draft added for them to mold the part.....Urgent therefore timing is also important.
Therefore What would I have to do to draft it.?
what function should I use and how?
Please instruct me with a step by step instruction.

Thank you...........If information are not clear I will provide for detail. Thank you very much for anyone help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You didn't say if you're using V4 or V5. I'll assume you have V4 since you have a surface model.

One way to add draft is to use use SURF2+SEGMENT, creating a new surface at the draft angle to the parting plane and tangent to your surface.

Another method would be to convert your surface model into a solid, and then add the draft as you normally do.

Hi, Jackk.
Sorry for not mentioning that I am using V4
Thank for replying. What I am working on is a valve body. From my understanding for me to turn it it to a solid my only way it to turn it in to a close volume then turn that volume into a solid, or regenerate that part from scratch.
Problems is time...
-Turn it to make it a close volume may take a long time because the surface are not clean therefore there are many small gap. and even once I have a close volume the part is very complicated just to draft the whole part.
-For me to regenerate the part from scratch the problems is that I do not have the part print to go by.

SURF2 function method. I haven't use SURF2 function for so long, and we are small company therefore no one know how to use it to assist me. I try it couple of time but got lost. Do you know where I can get info on using that function, ref materials, on line tutotrial or if you don't mind do you have any info that you can fax me or email me I would appreciated very much.

Thank you

hi,

You will find a lot of information in the Doc, I know that V5 doc and V4 doc doesn't look the same, but if V5 Doc is nice and friendly, V4 Doc is full of really nice definition..

But when you work with V4 SURF2 you should care about the SPINE : the curve used to define the plane in which the curve will be.

Then for the curve (we are talking about moving a profil curve along a guide curve in plane defined by a spine curve):

You can have CATIA to do it for you : SEGMENT, CIRCLE, CONIC :

Give CATIA information about the def of the SEGMENT, CIRCLE... use the ALT + Analysis window to find out which info you can give.

But if you want CATIA to use your curve then use CURVE UNSPEC

You will give a curve (on the spine plane) and CATIA will drag to curve along the GUIDE

If you want to give several sections :

Then use CURVE CURVE..

Each curve you give will be used as section, But if you want to control the evolution you can give LIMIT curve ( joining each sections ends) or MID curves ( which go form a first section PT to a second section PT... till a last section PT). Each of these LIMIT or MID curves should intersect with ALL sections.

But as told by JACKK you should work with SEGMENT and give a LIMIT curve and a REF plane and give an angle for your draft... for 4 degree angle give 86 degree def.. the value is taken from the SEGMENT to the REF plane...

Have fun,

Eric

catiav5@softhome.net

HieuDang...

Eric wrote a quick overview of SURF2, along with the basic steps required to use SURF2+SEGMENT to get your draft angle surface.

I used to teach SURF2 (for a former employer), but I no longer have anything to send you. ThinkCADBleu has a good V4 tutorial, if you can get your boss to spend a few $.

SURF2 is a powerful V4 surfacing tool, and worthwhile learning if you'll be using V4 for awhile. But it's also a complex tool to master and one that I think is better learnt from an instructor, not a self-taught book. Maybe your boss could invest $$$ and arrange to have someone come-in for a couple days and teach everyone.

....Jack

Thank you all for your times...Jackk , Eric

Catia Doc...We do not have it.
Like I said we are a small company and spending $$$ is out of the question. We use to have four guys now down to only me. I Am lucky I am still here. I been working with Catia for about for years, through those times I been running into many difficulty and I kind of gotten my self out by reading and seraching for anwers on my own...Thank to this Eng Tip I kind of gotten help for professional like you two.....If you guys or nayones have any other help tips please guide me to it.......Hopefully I will figure SURF 2 out

Thank you

Hieu Dang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back