Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creating drawings with API

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
I'm looking for some info/links on creating drawings with API. We want to automate the creation of our standard drawings where only are length and positions of cuts relative to the length change.

Our dealer is looking into it but I think you guys know more and are better than he is.

Thanks

P.S. The example he sent us was a simple block with 2 dims. Said he would contact the the API people at SolidWorks. So that will be a couple of weeks before we here anything.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Drawings can typically be very hard to automate b/c the cost/benefit ratio can quickly get out of whack. That being said, it your dimensional changes are pretty small, it can definitely be done. If your VAR cannot do the work, you can always contact TriMech Services (my old employer) - they do that kind of work regularly.

Evan T. Basalik, MCSD
--------------------------------
It's all about prioritization...

We want to have a default drawing set up and dimmed how we want it. Then our plan is to open that default drawing change the configuration then save as. Where we hit a snag is when we change connfig. the dims don't stay in place. Someone would have to come in and clean up the drawing. We need total automation with these simple drawings.

I think a block might be what we want to use then change the block dims or use XX as the value of the dim and update a table a "length" table on the drawing.

Based on your description, I think it can be done via either automation. The standard drawing templates would work, but would not be able to clean up the drawing. Automation would allow you to set up some rules and then clean up the drawing according to those rules.

Evan T. Basalik, MCSD

Typically, when you change dimensions enough, some of the detailing gets out of place. That is the kind of stuff that needs cleaned up.

Evan T. Basalik, MCSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back