Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creating "NEW" fill type

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8errr

Automotive
Sep 17, 2008
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to create a "new" fill type.
I want to do a section view, and all of the components sectioned are filled as "NORMAL"
I would like to create fill styles for both tool steels, and for HRS or CRS.
I know it it is possible to change them within draw in view, but I would like them to be linked to the Mat'l I select within the material table.
Any input would be appreciated....

Thanks,

-av8errrST3
xw46003GB
RAM2Quad CPU
3.00GHz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In your model create a new HATCH style and set the parameters that you want....
View > Style > Styles > Style Type:Hatch > New

Now create a new FILL style and set its hatch style to the new one you just created.

Repeat for however many you need.

Then Application Icon > Properties > Material Table.
Select the material you want to apply the fill style to.
In the Settings box select "Face & Fill Styles"
Now in the Fill Style box you should be able to select the fill style to apply.

Save it to the material table.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Beach,

Well, I was partially sucessful.
I was able to create a fill style, and then create a hatch style.
I named each D-2.
I then went into material talbe, and selected "Face & Fill Styles", and selected my fill style.

However, when I created a section, the resulting hatch pattern appeared as though it was "Normal."
I made sure "Derive from Model" was checked.
However, when I went into draw in view, to select the hatch pattern, my new style (D-2) was not avaliable.

I deleted both the section view, and primary views, and closed the draft, thinking it must need to update from the part file.
Upon re-opening the draft file, and using View Wizard to attempt to create a new view, I recieved an error saying "The drawinf view could ne be created due to geometry errors in the model.
I have attached a screen capture of the first attempt at the section view.

Frustrated....now I am unable to even bring the component into a draft to detail it.

-av8errrST3
xw46003GB
RAM2Quad CPU
3.00GHz

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d68331bb-75c5-438d-8c47-4d0225e5db70&file=Fill_&_Hatch.JPG
av8errr, I started playing around with trying to do this yesterday and ran into the same problem you did. Create the new fill/hatch, save, apply, and then no-go in the draft. A little more effort today finally yielded positive results. For me, it was a matter of using the organizer function from within styles to copy the new fill/hatch style to from the material table to the draft document. I still had to manually adjust the fill style in the section view after it was created, but it worked. Now, I believe that if you want this fill style to be available every time you create a new draft you'll have to open the template, and copy the fill from the material table to the draft file using organizer.

Hope this helps...

Jason

Jason,

Ahhh...organizer. That was the step I was missing.
I was able to get it to work now, but only by selecting properties on the drawing view, and then clicking "derive from part" under show fill style.
Does anyone know if there is a way to have the box for "Derive from part" checked by default.
I tried to change my draft template, by bringing in a part file, checking the box, saving the file, and then deleting the view, and re-saving.
It did not work.

Almost there!!

Thanks Jason.

-Av8errr

-av8errrST3
xw46003GB
RAM2Quad CPU
3.00GHz

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bd840002-1930-4dae-870d-43774ae9b889&file=derive_from_part.bmp
After some digging, I found it.
Solid Edge application button\edge display
Check derive from part under show fill style in section views.

Thanks for both of your input Beachcomber and jjengel...

-av8errrST3
xw46003GB
RAM2Quad CPU
3.00GHz

To set the Derive from part option as default:

1) Open draft template
2) Open Solid Edge Options
3) Under the Edge Display menu, tick the "Derive from Part" box.
4) Save

Repeat for other sheet templates.

Jason

Glad you're sorted guys.
Sorry I didn't replay after my original post - the weekend came quickly.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back