Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joest

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2003
US
Coming from the ProE world, I was hoping SW had the capability to create mathematical relationship between dimensions. ProE sets up a unique dimension tag number that can be inserted into equations relation dimensions. This tag number can even be used to drive dimensions in other parts or assemblies. What is available in SW to do this? Or is this sort of activity reserved for high-end CAD packages and I'm out of luck? Any info in this area would be great. Thanks.

-Joest

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at "Equations" in help, that should get you going.
One thing to keep in mind, the help in Solidworks is extremely complete and usually will get you out of the woods. Sometimes it is hard knowing what to ask for, however!

Equations are the first way to look at this as Mandrake22 has pointed out. The other way is to look at a Design Table. Which is an Excel sheet built inside of the part file. If you know anything about Excel you will know that you can use the VBA and formula side of Excel to help with contorl of the dimensions.

Just another way to look at SW.

Check the help on these subjects.

If you haven't done so yet, also check out the online tutorial.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

Thank you all! Equations should take care of most situations and the excel spreadsheet approach sounds like a great way to get significant power and ease of use out of SW. I will give it a go.

-Joest

Joerst,

SolidWorks uses "Design Tables" (spreadsheets) as one of the ways to handle multiple configurations in a part file while Pro/E uses "Family Tables". However, I think Family Tables are the only way in Pro/E to handle multiple configs. There are times when the manual, i.e., non-Design Table method is the most appropriate method for creating multipe configs and other times when the spreadsheet method is the better choice.

Similarly, there are times when the relationships between values are best controlled by Equations, other times when it is best to use Linked Values and still other times when the Design Table is best. Many of these situations could use one or more of these methods. The beauty is that you have options to use whichever is the most appropriate.

- - -Dennyd

Looks like all three methods can be best in different circumstances. For example. linking would be easier and more efficient than going to the lengths of making a equations for D1=D3, D3=D6, etc. Best to make some cheap play parts and experiment until you are familiar enough to decide.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

A hobbit's lifestyle sounds rather pleasant...... it's the hairy feet that turn me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back