Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Rounds/Fillets Without Typing An Exact Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

shearstrength

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2001
CA
I am a new user to SW, and I would like to know how can a full round be created by using the round/fillet option without entering a radius value.

If I create a cube or block, I would like to create a full round/fillet with three surfaces or sides, having the software compute the radius.

The space of these three surfaces, will automatically determine the radius it generates. If I change the lengths of these surfaces or sides, my full round will automatically be modified at the same time.

Any response will be greatly appreciated!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

The solution to your problem is to draw a circle/arc using one of the arc functions. Then using add relations make the arc tangent to all three sides/lines/edges. The arc will now adjust as you adjust the shape.

Regards

Kevin
kevin@ketd.co.uk

I don't want to create the radius by sketching it.

I want to create the radius by using the round/fillet command. This way, if I decide I want a chamfer instead, I can just delete that step in the tree and chamfer the edges with the chamfer command.

Any suggestions?

Hi

I am not sure I now follow the problem you are trying to solve. The only situation I can think of were the size of an arc is automatically determined is an arc thro 3 points/tangent to 3 faces.

If this is the case you could still contruct the arc manually using a sketch, adding relationships to tie in the rad and extrude a cut using the sketch. You may also be able to quickly convert this sketch to a chamfer if needed.

Solidworks does provide an ability to set a radius without specifying the RAD. This method involves the use of face fillets with hold lines. More detail are available in the SW help. Search for hole lines.

Hope this is of some help

Regards

Kevin
kevin@ketd.co.uk

If I am not way off base I think what you are trying to accomplish can be done with a face blend fillet. Look at your cube in an isometric orientation. In the fillet dialog slect face blend for the fillet type. For face set 1 select the top face of the cube. For face set 2 select the front face of the cube. Now select the Advanced Face Fillet tab at the top of the dialog. For the hold lines select the back edge of the top face and the bottom edge of the front face. Select OK and you should be good to go. BBJT CSWP

BBJT,

That works, but for only 2 faces, I believe he wants something similar to that but with three faces instead of two.

The only way I can think of doing it is by using the varaible radius to control this. I haven't made one of those in "Years".

It boils down to the fact that you pick the lines that the radius is to be tangent too, then pick the radius at that point.

I found if you move the view to Iso, then pick the three tangent lines where you want the radius to exist , and then change the radius dims to read the same value then you will slowly get your desired look.

It's not automatic, but it will fill the void.

shearstrength - I would make it for you, but they don't pay me enough here...LOL Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
George Koch Sons,LLC
Evansville, IN 47714
sjb@kochllc.com

I noticed that after I sent it. oops. If you are looking at the cube straight on(Front view) are the three faces the top, right, and left faces? If so you could use the method I described above using a split line dividing the top face into two. You would need to create two face blends using the split line as one of the hold lines instead of the back edge of the top face. If that is to confusing which it probably is I would more than happy to email an example or post the model if that is possible. BBJT CSWP

Another senario. If you are looking at the front and want a full round between the top, front and a side face I was also able to that with the help of split lines. It actually worked pretty slick. Again if you ,Shearstrength, or anybody else would like me to send them an example I would be more than happy to. If what I have is not exactly what you need it should give you some good ideas on how to accomplish what you are trying to do. BBJT CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back