Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating stl from v5 product 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.. just save as .stl

The question was, "Can you create an stl file directly from a CATProduct?"

I have an HD2 configuration, and I do not have the option to save an STL file directly from an assembly. .CATPart - yes, .CATProduct - no.

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Hi,

Any specific reason using stl format? Why not another one?

Sorry for my question but I didn't use until now the stl format and I want to know if there is any advantage using this file format (maybe because STL is data-transmission without any problems?). It seems that there are also some other formats which has increased their accuracy (or maybe I'm wrong?).

If you want to use stp or igs, I can post here a CATScript.

Regards
Fernando

Hey, ferdo -

I know a better place to post that script - with a link here, of course! :)

Almost all rapid prototyping vendors request an STL file. It's the standard format for every RP machine on the market.

What exactly does your script do?

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Hi,

Open all CATProduct one by one from a specific folder and save as stp (for example). I can't test with stl because we have same configuration like you.

Regards
Fernando

mistertbone -- 3 steps, Double pick the top assembly, Tools --> Generate CATPart from Product.
This will put all solids into 1 CATPart. File save as .STL

Regards,
Derek

I used V5 last year for the first time to creat several STL files for tooling. We use them for Stereolithography and LOM slice (paper medium). If you don't have the specific STL license, which I don't in V5, do in V4, the go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/GENERAL/DISPLAY then click the Performances tab. Under the 3D accuracy check the FIXED button. I set the box beside to .1 and the CURVES ACCURACY RATIO to 1.0.
It affects your STL output. I can't read STL's back into V5 but I can into V4. Try several settings and check your output file size.

You can read STL back into Catia if you open it (as existing component) into an assembly. (.CATProduct)

I, too, am a bit miffed at the lack of settings for a filetype that comes default with the system. Catia gets a D- for product support without buying "extras".

---

That is true. We have a Function Key STL in V4. It allows creation of STL's and control of the settings. Also you can import, analyze and repair them if you want. Repair is like drawing a circle with an Etch-a-Sketch, but can be done.

I regularly have designs sent out for Rapid Prototyping, using SLA, SLArmor, SLS, FDM, and sculpted foam. If you are in a bind over the STL settings, almost any vendor will normally accept a STEP or IGES file, in lieu of STL. Since the vendor dictates the settings for their particular machine, it sometimes works out better to let them transfer the data. (although they may charge you for it)

Just my $.02 worth. If worse comes to worse, there are plenty of third party applications (cheaper than Catia add-ons) that give you a tremendous amount of options for not too much money. (relatively speaking) I personally use Kubotek KeyCreator for handling my STL conversions.

---

mistertbone -- if you are checking out other 3rd party vendors, have a look at They have an online voucher system to pay/translations, or you could buy the translator options.
You can also use this as a viewer, it will allow you to read in some different formats, just no save.

Regards,
Derek

Yes, but be careful with the trial versions. They unload a lot of junk onto your computer. I spent a good deal of time cleaning up after PS...

---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back