Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating surfaces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3munoz

Industrial
Aug 29, 2011
ES
Hi everybody,

I'm working on building my train model, and although it is a long time since I started with this project, honestly I'm a little? stuck. As you can see in the picture I created a bunch of points which let me describe the curves used to build the surfaces and volume of the nose of a train. I hope you can recognize it.

getfile.aspx

As I don't know how to upload more than one picture per post, I continue in the next ones.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first problem arise when I try to build a surface between the two yz curves. I used Multi-Section Surface, considering these two sections, and chosing as guides those curves which link both profiles. It works fine, although the result isn't totally satisfactory. As you can see in the picture, the surface is domed, and it should be limited by the bigger profile

Sorry if I don't make me understood so easily...

I was thinking then to make a sweep of one of the sections along the guides, but I'd like it to finish in the second section. Is it possible? Does anybody know how to avoid this domed result?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8930671b-e2f0-480b-8cac-ade80d24deed&file=problem1.jpg
Finally the second problem appears when building the surface close to the peak. In this case I used Sweep tool. I chose the curve of the symmetry plane (xz) of the train as section, and the other two curves as guides. As you can see it resulted in a gap between the two built surfaces. Although both surfaces share an edge, it seems as if it isn't considered.

If I tried with different combinations of sections and guides among the three possible, this gap didn't appear, but a domed surface was the final result. I guess this is because when working with sweep tool, you fix a profile and this is kept along the guides. In this way, sometimes or at a certain position the profile is bigger than the expected volume shell. This is why I finally chose the profile in xz plane, but I cannot understand why this gap appears!

Any advice or idea?

I am really desperated. I started this project in august, and I'm still working on it, so any help is welcome!

Thanks in advance,

L3munoz.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f3c992f0-b8f6-4d1a-ab1c-b1e8ad42c157&file=Gap.jpg
Firstly... check the quality of the splines you made, are they smooth? remove points that cause spikes in the porcupine analysis

Secondly... I think you are biting of more than you can chew, meaning that you should divide the surface building into smaller areas, main surfaces (side and top, maybe a front surface) and fillet surface, surfaces that transitions between the main surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back