Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creativity in job evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffengm

Industrial
Jan 12, 2003
US
Just finished undergoing annual 13 month performance review and argument with my boss about what constitutes creativity in an IE/Mfgeng position. He maintains that creativity is evidenced by gee-whiz new processes. I say it is in the imaginative application of the tools available and in the acquisition of the tools where they do not already exist.
Any one have any comments or ideas they wish to share on the subject?

Griffy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. I would say both interpretations are valid, but your idea is probably the one that makes the most money for the company.

2. Annual every 13 months?

I think that at the end of the year, your approach will generally have produced more profits. The gee-whiz approach frequently winds up applying technology inappropriately, simply because it's "gee-whiz"!

Rhodie,
The "annual 13 month" is a comment on the tendency of some companies to allow this process to slide an extra month each year. It seems to follow a pattern of slipping about three or four months and then moving back to the starting point. It comments on the stated policy vs. practice.
I think I work for a great company but this is one of those quirks that irritate. I've seen it other places and some periodicly skip it.
One of the irksome features of many eval processes is the lack of reasonably defined, uniformly defined criteria for such things as "creativity." In my setting where I am in the Design group, my boss feels that our drafting section is actually called upon to be more creative than my position. My reply is that he is applying a distorted definition of creativity in both cases.
Mostly, I'm trying to get some ideas as to how others apply this term to similar positions.
Rainey,
Thank you for that thought. It cuts through some of my confusion.

Griffy

As a past instructor in Effective Creativity at GE, I can vouch that all engineers can benefit from exercising creativity at every opportunity. In addition to brainstorming, which most people are aware of, there are:
- using the checklist of modifications (minimize, maximise, reverse, invert, etc.)
- using nature. Aviation borrows from nature in their choice of ribs, skin, wings, tail, teeth, nose, etc. Look at the way nature designs fluid systems in the body. Also, there are composite structure of bones, muscular mechanisms, etc.
- explaining the problem. Talk to your wife or friends about the problem, even if they are not technically competent in the problem area. Problems seem to solve themselves in the process.
- vocalize how you would feel in the role of something mechanical. Some insights jump out from this experience.

griffengm

Sorry for late response

Creativity and innovation is a must in the design stage,
Drawing task requires to make decisions as to clarity, readability and unambiguity. Not creativity.
process planning requires a long experience in manufacturing, imaginative application of the tools available
production planning is more of combinatory and mathematicians who have specialized in queuing theory, sequencing, not creativity but math imaginative.

Just finished undergoing annual 13 month performance review and argument with my boss about what constitutes creativity in an IE/Mfgeng position. He maintains that creativity is evidenced by gee-whiz new processes. I say it is in the imaginative application of the tools available and in the acquisition of the tools where they do not already exist.
Any one have any comments or ideas they wish to share on the subject?

Griffy

Creativity is a daily process in which old components are combined in new ways to solve problems. It could be that simple.
Improving on existing designs by benchmarking is a valuable tool. The Japs use it all the time. The Taurus led a revolution in modern cars. The Japs imitated and improved upon the Taurus.
Focus on nagging problems and solve them once and for all. Gasket leaks were solved by adhesive seals. Don't accept current practice if a better way is possibly available.

There are other words that should be discussed.

IMO a "totally new" idea/product is called an "invention" while a slight improvement to an existing product is called an innovation.
Most design is innovation which if/when there are enough of them applied to a given product can result in a totally "new" product.

Both require engineering creativity - while drafting often requires 3D space creativity.

What your boss calls creativity is better called "inventivity" - if there is such a word.

amorrison4,
I think the word you are looking for is "inventiveness" and I think it is appropriate.
If we combine your thought with Plasgear's might we come up with this: Creativity is the making of new connections between existing component while inventiveness is creation of a new component by making new connections. One creates a new path and the other a new starting point.

Griffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back