Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creepage distances USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniele039

Electrical
Jan 12, 2006
DE
Has anyone some information about the following topics ?

1 - Standard for the creepage distance selection for High Voltage OHL insulators . We are using in Europe IEC 815 . What about USA ?

2 - Has anyone a link to a web site , where i can find a map with a zoning scheme and the related creepage distances used from USA utilities ?

3 - In general , i need some examples of zoning/creepage distances . Any information would be useful , regading also other countries than USA .

Thank you a lot

Daniele

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I now, each apparatus, bushing and insulator have different creepage distances. There are similarities in for normalized creepage distance use in IEC and ANSI/IEEE depending on the pollution level. The main difference one use phase-to-phase voltage and IEEE use phase to ground voltage as described in the links below.

1 - Check also IEC Std 60071-2 and IEEE Std 1313.2

2 - Below is a link from a survey performed by IEEE.

Beware that this information is based in utility overall experience. There may be location with heavy localized pollution such as coal plant, water spray from cooling tower, industrial pollution plant, coastal areas etc.

3 - Here is a normalized creepage distance used in ANSI/IEEE and IEC marketplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back