Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Creo 1.0 config files + Windchill 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabberwocky

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2005
Hello,

Similar questions have been asked but I have yet more!

We are implementing Creo 1.0 and Windchill 10. I understand the order that Creo uses to parse config.pro files and that it overwrites previously loaded choices except for config.sup ones. However, the locations are still unclear - I know the first place is the "/text" directory in your install folder, and I know the last place is your working directory, easily modified by the "start in" command in your Creo shortcut...where is the middle "local user" location literally located on my machine?

Second question, what is the best way to standardize config settings as a baseline for a consistent user experience but also allow users to edit their own custom settings for options we don't care about. Config.sup is an easy way to lock down certain options, but where should the file live for each user to keep their own settings? If everybody uses "start in" to the same network location then any changes will affect all users...can Windchill make this easier?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Windchill has no bearing on what Creo does when it comes to config files.

This is what I do, your results may be different.

Each user has their own folder on their computer's C:\ drive that is set as the Start In directory (C:\PTC_USER\<username> in the icon used to start Creo. I put a dummy config.pro file in there with 1 line that is irrelevant as the setting, like Bell No. Then the users can add anything they want to that file.

For system-wide config settings, I use a config.sup and config.pro in the <loadpoint>/text folder. We run Wildfire/Creo from a network install, so everyone loads the same files.

The third location is the user's HOME directory. Our HOME directory is on a network drive, so I can go to any workstation and get the same settings.

They are loaded in this order:
<loadpoint>\text\
HOME
Start In

Under the Start In folder is a Trail folder and all trail files are written to that location so they are always written to a local folder.

If you want to use project folders, use separate icons for each project and set the Start In directory for each one. Then put a project level config.pro file in that folder. Use the HOME folder for the user's personal settings, even if it isn't the last loaded. This will make the project settings have the final 'say' in your configuration settings.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks Looslib, that is pretty close to my understanding of the start-up order as well. However, can you tell me where the HOME directory actually is? (assuming a clean install)

An additional level of fun and complexity is being provided free-of-charge by our IT department which has locked out write access to the loadpoint directory, a fight for another day...

Mine is actually defined by HOMESHARE, for some reason. At least that is where WF is picking up a config.pro file from.

Open a DOS window and type SET and see if your IT dept has established a HOME environment variable.

In Wildfire, go to the Help tab and System Information. Scroll down and you will see a section labeled: Configuration Information which will list what config files were loaded at start up. Place a small config.pro file in various directories if you need to see where the system is pulling them from.

Unless IT has full admin rights to engineering apps, and is willing to give you timely support, push that fight and get the admin rights to that folder.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Star for that one, especially the system information tag - we just knew there had to be a location where it would tell you what config files were pulled in but I never could find it.

Funnily enough the .ui file (which has replaced config.win as of Creo) is buried seven layers deep, with no less than three of those layers named ProEngineer and/or Wildfire!

I will continue to fight the good fight, IT's power grab has no place when it literally hurts our ability to do our jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back