Creo Won't Let Me into a Group 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

treddie

Computer
Dec 17, 2005
US
Hello.

This is weird. Never run into this before. If I am working in a part file, sometimes I will group many features into a group to clean up the overall tree. I can easily get to all of the features in that group. But now all of a sudden, if I close that file and reopen it, I cannot move the insertion point inside the group. I am locked out of it, unless I ungroup the group. Then I can get to the features. If I ungroup the group and then regroup it, same problem. Restarting Creo has no effect.

Not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but lately, I have been putting my computer to sleep every night instead of shutting it down. Whenever, I wake it back up, Creo has a warning message that data may have been lost.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Working this problem further, this does not appear to be a problem in the file itself, it seems to be in Creo in general. Old files do the same thing now.
Could this be a corrupt config file?

Trying that next.

I deleted all config file copies forcing Creo to a default config. Still same problem.

Update: Rebooted my system. No difference.

Update. Other weird things happening now, like inability to select surfaces for copying, and edges not selecting. I think I need to do a reinstall.

Hi looslib!

Creo 2 M100. Been using it for years.

I put my computer to sleep overnight. When I woke it up this morning, that was when I noticed that I could not select surfaces or edges for copying. I shut down Creo and relaunched it and I got that functionality back. The selection within Groups is still messed up, however.

I think part of the problem is that Creo does not like Windows Sleep mode.

Have you rebooted your computer?
Windows is famous for mot releasing all memory when you close an application. With Windoows NT and XPpro, I used to recommend that my Pro/E and Unigraphics users reboot EVERY night. With Windows 7 and 10, once a week is usually OK, but in some cases daily may still help.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Sure it's not an old file? Previous releases did not allow inserting features inside a group. Not sure when that changed or if it's retro-active in old files.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

"Have you rebooted your computer?"

Yes. No effect.

"Sure it's not an old file?"

This is a file I started on about a week ago. Old files that I used Groups in (with no problems), now have the problem, too. So I'm thinking something broke in my installation.

Try dropping back "graphics win32_gdi" in the config.pro to circumvent a possible graphics driver change. You'll need to restart Creo after the change.

"Try dropping back "graphics win32_gdi" in the config.pro to circumvent a possible graphics driver change. You'll need to restart Creo after the change."

Hm...I have "All Options" selected, but that phrase does not exist in either the names or descriptions, for config.pro.

"Yes - you probably need to manually edit config.pro. PTC likes to hide options."

I opened it in WordPad, but no such name. I must have an alternate universe version of M100! :)

"You. Have. To. Type. It. In. Yourself. "

Just saw your last post, but I was so frustrated with Creo before I read it, that I did a completely new install of Creo, and the problem is now gone. Cleared up some other intermittent problems too, like not being able to copy surfaces or paths. Weird.

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

One other comment...Even if it is a new file, did you create it from an old template/start part?
Those need updated, too!

Ben Loosli

"One other comment...Even if it is a new file, did you create it from an old template/start part?
Those need updated, too!"

I tested both old existing files and brand new ones for test. They all failed.
But after the clean install, the problems went away.

A brand new file may still use an old template/start part. Check the dates of your templates and start parts to be sure they are Creo2 saved.

Since a clean install solved the issue, you may have corrupted a file along the way that is now fixed.

Ben Loosli

I must profess ignorance about templates. I never use anything other than File > New. I DO however, Save As, to start a new branch of files from existing ones in a project.
What exactly is the definition of "template" in Creo. In other programs, I see the use of templates as launching-off points, but I never use them, unless a particular program will not let me create my own startup units. Then my "template" becomes an empty file with my desired units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back