Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crippling

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroclone

Aerospace
Nov 17, 2001
US
Is there anyone who knows any good references for crippling of beams? There is some information in Michael Niu's Airframe Structural Design and some in Rivello's Theory and Analysis of Flight Structures. I was just wondering if anyone new of any other books or papers. I had to do a crippling analysis on a spar recently and would like to learn as much as I can for future reference.
Thank you,
Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking for historical references ? If so, here are some papers:

Most published charts are based on the idea of R.A. Needham:

The ultimate strength of aluminum-alloy formed structural shapes in compression -
R.A. Needham - Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences - Vol 21 - April 1954 - No.4

and
The crippling strength of compression elements. - G. Gerard
Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences - January 1958

More references are listed at the end of these papers.

gunther

Gunther is right - Needham's method seems to be most widely used to predict crippling. It is also simple to use.
You can also consult Bruhn's classic "Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures" for more examples of crippling calculations.

Regards

Andries

I think the best historical referencies are NACA Reports
"HADNBOOK OF STRUCTURAL STABILITY". They published in 1957. Part I. NACA-TN-3781 Buckling of flat plates, by G.Gerard, Part III. NACA-3783 Buckling of curved plates and shells by G. Gerard, Part IV NACA-TN-3784, Failure of plates and composite elements, Part V. NACA-TN-3785 Compressive strength of flat stiffened panels,
Part Vi.,NACA-TN-3786 Strength of dtiffened curved plates and shells by H. Becker

masha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back