Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Critical damping equation of rotational vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1D

Structural
Feb 22, 2004

When calculating the damping ratio of rotational vibration of a concrete block foundation I realized that I am not sure the critical damping equation is correct.

If I use the quation: Cc=2*sqrt(K*m) (where K is the stiffness, m is the mass, Cc is the critical damping constant) and compute the damping ration using D = C/Cc, the units cannot be cancelled out! The ratio ends up having a unit (ft) left over. Apparently something wrong here.

For rotational vibration, K is in k.ft/rad, C is in k.ft.sec/rad, m is in k.sec^2/ft.

Could somebody point out the problem here? Thanks

j1d

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That equation is for a single degree-of-freedom, linear system.

In that case, the spring constant k is in kips/ft and m is in kips-sec^2/ft. Multiplying that through will yield kips-sec/ft, which are certainly the units for damping. I think the problem lies in the units you have for the spring constant.

A more thorough treatment of this subject can be found in MIL-HDBK-1007/3, which is at

As far as rotational vibrations are concerned, unless the entire system rotates, if you have rotating machinery with eccentric loads, the load will manifest itself as a axial load which continuously changes direction. This in turn can be broken down into z- and x-components, which can usually be analysed in a linear fashion. This is similar to a vibratory pile driver, which I deal with at length at

Thanks Vulcanhammer, you provide pretty good info on the web.

But still I don't know how to calculate the critical damping for rocking. In a specification it is required that the geometric damping ratio of pile group for rocking mode is less than 0.10.

Regards,
j1d

I have this book. But I only found the critical damping equation on page 513 (Eq. 7.50). But when I used it for rocking mode, the unit problem occurred as described about. The equation looks like being for translational modes only.

Regards,
j1d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back