Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRN authorized inspectors in Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayp1981

Mechanical
Aug 17, 2007
US
I'm looking for a pressure vessel and boiler inspector who is authorized to sign off on testing for CRN compliance in the state of Virginia.

All of the products to be tested are categorized as fittings. (Regulators, Diaphram valves, flow meters, etc...)

Can anyone recommend someone or an insurer who covers this?

Kind regards,

- JP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

deanc,

For non-standard fittings you need to submit design calculations or a proof test report.

From the TSSA's Fitting Registration Guidelines section 2.7 B): "Detailed Calculations or copy of the proof test report witnessed by an authorized third party inspector. (See Appendix “D” and “Accredited Inspection Agencies” list attached)"

I've read through pveng's documentation and would like to know how it is you think it works differently for non-standard fittings?

Kind regards,

- JP

I would contact TSSA (Safety authority in Ontario) directly and get an answer how to proceed. Link above is for a company that provide service of registering a design, however there are less expensive solutions.
As to my knowledge, you need to submit design calculations, drawings and Statutory declaration form to TSSA (or other Safety Authority, depends on Province of installation) stamped by P.Eng (registered in required province).

The vessel must be designed to ASME code to pass CRN. The 3rd party inspector would be your normal ASME Authorized Inspector who signs off on everything.

In response to FSB01: I'm all about less expensive solutions.

In response to FiveOJester: What I'm looking to register is not classified as a vessel. The products are classified as fittings. Anything that falls into the vessel category is manufactured by someone else in our product line.

Fittings can be validated through the proof test witnessed by an authorized inspector as indicated in TSSA's Fitting Registration Guidelines:

The following website that deanc posted on this thread illustrates what is classified as a vessel or a fitting:

In Response to deanc: Thanks for the lead on HBS!

- JP

I've gotten intouch with a few people at Intertek who will be helping us with our CRN work this year.

I'll make sure to post a review of how well it works out for me.

- JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back