Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross Border Engineering Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacksaw82

Structural
Jul 3, 2009
CA
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I figured I give it a chance.

I am a licensed PE in Michigan. I received my license while practicing as an structural engineer in the State. I have since changed jobs, and now practice in Canada (I am Canadian). My PE is still valid. I am in process of obtaining my Ontario P.Eng. My current employer has a Canadian based client who has a factory in Michigan they would like to expand. The idea being floating around is that I would seal the structural permit drawings with my Michigan PE. Is anyone aware of any special requirements that my current firm would need to undertake? We checked with our errors and omissions insurance provider, and our policy will cover practice in the USA, provided the work is supervised by a licensed PE (that's me, check).

In Ontario you need a Certificate of Authorization to provide engineering services to the public (on top of your P.Eng). Is this something we need for American practice? I did reach out to the Michigan License board, who told me (in a one sentence response) that they do not license firms, only individuals.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has real world experience with this practice. I feel the License Body is not going to give me much more info...

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I went over to the Michigan department of licensing and registration and found this on the license requirements page:

""FIRMS OFFERING PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING SERVICES

While Michigan only licenses individuals to practice professional engineering, Section 2010 of the Occupational Code requires that if a firm contracts to provide professional engineering services in Michigan, at least two-thirds of the principals of the firm need to be licensed in Michigan.

If the firm will include principals who are not licensed, each of those unlicensed principals must file for approval with the board office.

Forms may be obtained from this site, requested in writing, or by telephone.""

Hope this helps.

~ VWW

Thanks VWW, I was aware of this clause, which is why I was surprised that the License Department said that they don't License firms. Maybe this is only for firms who are based in the state.

Very confusing.

Note that from the clause quoted above, if the firm accepts engineering, the individuals need to be licensed- not the firm

One other thing to watch. I have been seeing in a couple of states where they are trying to confirm US citizenship. I think what they are getting at is illegal aliens in the US; they are trying to confirm that you are in the US legally. And I don't think it's the intent of those requirements to rule out people living abroad and doing engineering in the US. And I don't know if that has come up in MI yet. But be on the alert for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back