Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross Bracing for Shear Wall Instead of Plywood 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rook1

Structural
Apr 25, 2003
PH
Normally, we design thick plywood for shear walls to resist lateral forces. is it practical to use bracing instead? id also like to know more regarding its cost.
help much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that you are talking about wood framed (2x's @ 16" o.c.) walls. Bracing in the same plane as the studs would be difficult to design because you have the additional lateral load on the brace (not just tension/compression). You could possible use metal strap braces on the surface of the studs. Connection detailing would be the challenge. You could also switch to metal studs and use strap bracing. Connection detailing a little easier because the brace material and stud material are the same.

the simpson diagonal bracing mentioned that...
"Not designed to replace structural panel shearwall load-carrying component"

anybody who knows alternative for wood shear wall design?
what would be the calculation and which code supports it?
thanx!

unless you use Simpson Strong-wall or something equal, APA rated sheathing panels or gyp board (not on my list but allowable by code) are the only thing I know of for shear panels that meet code requirements for lateral load resistance.

If you want to change to metal studs instead of wood studs you can use X-bracing instead of sheathing in your shearwalls. As mentioned above, you will have more detailing and engineering to check all the connections. Otherwise, try masonry or concrete shearwalls, or concrete or structural steel frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back