Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

cross country pipline

Status
Not open for further replies.

devan203

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2003
IN
Is there any regulation regarding the liquid that can be maintained in a cross country pipeline. What is specifically required to be known is - Is it correct to leave an underground/above ground pipeline with a line content of gasoline after operations. If not what is the pipeline kpt with during the time it is not being operated.Could someone help me out on this

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why not run a pig through the line to empty it? The liquid inside must have some value?

Rule and regulation vary from country to country.

Best regards

Morten

I presume u are referring to abandonment of the pipeline after use; if that is right the best option is to flush out the product with a pig to collect the product, as Morten rightly pointed out it must have some value.

U should also clean the line by flushing with water to make sure it is not left with flammable fluids.

A general regulation that holds for any country is that pipelines and ancillary structures are abandoned in a manner that will not pose any hazard to the environment.

The line will not be abandoned. What I meant was after pumping operations are completed for the day, is it okay to leave the line with the product till the next pumping operation starts i.e maybe after 2 days or after about a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back