Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross-sectional properties using Patran Beam Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

gantovnik

Aerospace
Nov 9, 2011
US
How to get cross-sectional properties (moments of inertia, area, etc) if the cross-section consists of several separate parts? I usually get cross-section properties in Patran from Beam Library using Arbitrary Shape option. But in this case (several disjoint areas) it does not work. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you create a surface of the right cross sectional profile you can then create a custom beam section and it behaves as like one of the standard sections

Dummy element? I try to connect two surfaces by line, and I tried to create a new surface combining two initial surfaces. It did not work. See image with two surfaces. There is a hole in the plate, and I want to get information about this cross-section. Hmmmm! Catia can find everything in this case, but what about Patran?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=227b2b32-5fe4-4e6b-96c9-383e21c27170&file=2013-07-27_170239.jpg
I don't need hand calculation. I need automatically generated Patran report file with coordinates of all points, all moments of inertia, area, etc. I want to use this report file as an input to other code, so any hand calculation is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back