Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crower "crowerglide" slipper clutch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As stated above, it is a simple multi-disk centrifugal clutch. I ran a "full centrifugal" three-disc Crowerglide for many years in mini-rod tractor pulling. They are also available as a centrifugal-assist type, to use with a throwout bearing (and pedal/arm/etc.).

Hi thanks for all the input,
It looks like there are at least two basic types of high power centrifugal clutches. Another type is which uses balls and ramps. It looks like springs are used to set the engagement rpm on both designs. The Crower design gets additional applied force by using a lever. The other design uses balls and ramps.

Matt51- in response to your post-

My full-centrifugal 3-disc 8" CrowerGlide does NOT use release springs. The only setup variables consist of how many weights (0 - 6, they resemble 1/4" thick small-diameter flat washers, retained by a short 5/16-24 bolt and nut) are bolted to each arm (five, if I remember correctly); and static plate clearance (typically .060"). I'm using two weights on each arm, which gives me no vehicle movement below 2,000 RPM and no slip above about 3,200 RPM (engine torque is something over 600 lb.ft.).

"... additional applied force by using a lever". Huh? I don't know what "lever" you're referring to. The only "levers" in my CrowerGlide are the weight arms, which are pivoted such that they convert the outward radial force of the weights to axial force to press the pressure plate against the discs. Their lever-ratio is on the order of 1:1. And- "... "in addition" to what?

Off-topic, to 'thruthefence'-

You MIGHT be talking to me- I'm old, my first bike in 1959 was an old Harley (1940 45 c.i. flathead), but am thankfully not yet arthritic!

I didn't mind the hand-shift/foot-clutch generally. But starting up from a red light on an upgrade was a problem on mine. The single-leading-shoe front brake would not hold the 650 pound machine from rolling backward, which meant my left foot needed to stay on the ground and my right foot held the rear brake while waiting for the light to change. So getting-the-green required a quick switch-of-feet to engage the clutch- without rolling back into the car behind. In my haste to accomplish that move, I'd stall the engine often-as-not! Then traffic would snarl as I'd kick... and kick... and kick...

Hi Pontiacjack,

They have a clutch with relatively long "weight arms", so it appeared to me they were using leverage, not 1:1. They also use coil springs, which would have to be compressed before engagement occurred. At least thats how it appears in the picture. I appreciate your input, as I am trying to figure out how the Crower clutch works.

Matt- I stand corrected, in that my CrowerGlide does have five small coil springs, which can be considered 'release' springs. I tend to overlook them, since they serve mainly to keep the pressure plate from rattling below the initial engagement speed. They have little impact on the fundamental operation of the clutch, since they provide so little force (in relation to, say, clamping force at lockup). The installed length of these springs is not one of the setup parameters.
Thanks for the link- I'd never seen the "special" Crowerglides for drag bikes. My comments pertained strictly to the archtypical automotive CrowerGlides of the last few decades, which all employ levers of approximately 1:1 ratio.

OT to pontiacjack,
When I was a kid, Dad had two old army Flathead 45's, AND a 45 'servicycle'! My sister crashed my older brother's Highlander & got cut up a bit, and Mom made him sell 'em! Man,they could have been Mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back