Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crude Desalting. Power and Chemical Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

clementer

Chemical
Aug 2, 2006
AE
I am working on a study for a refinery. I am doing an economic model for new process which uses crude oil desalting. I am looking for information about operating cost of desalters. Specifically, I am looking for typical electric power consumption (kW/bbl) and demulsifying chemical costs and consumption (kg of chemical/bbl and USD/kg of chemical or directly USD/bbl). I know that these values depend on a number of parameters (content of salt and water in crude, amount of water added, type and properties of the crude, etc.) but I am looking for “typical” or “average” values in order to get a rough order of magnitude estimate. I will appreciate any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several different methods used to desalt incoming crude. I am familiar with both demulsifiers and centrifuges. For demulsifiers, check out this patent article (look at the punlishing date, its been around for a couple decades).

I also suggest you purchase the book, Petroleum Refining Processes by Speight and Ozum. It has a chapter dedicated strictly to the economy of desalting operations.

William Hammett
Synergetic Engineering Consultants

clementer:

Rather than trusting books or patents, your best bet is to contact either Howe-Baker or Natco ... two major manufacturers of electrostatic desalters.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Thanks to Rocco8.

Allied Technology purchased the Howe Baker technology for desalters in January 2010 from Cameron. Certified Technical Servcies, an Allied Technology company, does, in fact, design, fabricate, install, and suppport the H-B desalter line as the EDGE product line. More information can be found at or
Cameron now owns the NATCO product lines through their purchase in November 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back