Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crude oil compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

oillio

Petroleum
Oct 1, 2009
SY
Good afternoon,

If I compress crude oil from 1 barg to 25 bars how can I calculate the reduction of volume?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, if you know the bulk modulus of the oil. The problem is that no two crude samples are exactly the same, so getting a bulk modulus can be difficult. You can come close by doing a mass average property calculation since the bulk modulus for each component in crude is published somewhere.

David

if you are able to characterize the oil you can calculate isothermal compressibility k = -(1/V)*dV/dp with a equation of state as SRK or PR (my usual approach with tools as Prode Properties), or the bulk modulus (the inverse of compressibility) as suggested by zdas04, differently you could use generic correlations, see for example Vazquez and Beggs correlations for fluid physical property prediction or Al-Marhoun the coefficient of isothermal compressibility of black oils, there are many different methods and I can't recommend one.

Here's your excuse. Its usually not taught in schools; more of an on the job learning subject. It is infinitely easier to teach using the theory of ideal uncompressible liquids, kind of like learning statics with Newtonian, rather than relativistic physics.

17-1058074210T.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back