Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crush load and such for cardboard boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechengdude

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2007
US
We are looking at requirements to calculate how high the logistics folks can stack a variety of boxes/pallets in the warehouse.

Any Packaging engineers here or folks who could recommend an appropriate MIL-Spec or other documentation in the public domain?

thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tried doing a quick Mil-spec search but most packaging is specific to the item being shipped

can try your luck there

Comprehension is not understanding. Understanding is not wisdom. And it is wisdom that gives us the ability to apply what we know, to our real world situations

Call a supplier. I think there is an association of corrugated mfgs that may be able to help. But I think they mostly rate on punching forces?

And I think the stacking thing may be done by testing??

Good luck. You got some weed things going on there, buckling, compression, bending, maybe tension, varying I's, etc.

Also, what is in the box? If it is some solid item that fits tight - that item might be carrying a lot of the load with cardboard acting as protection only.

Maybe a FEA analysis might get you close??

Good luck.

Seems to me like logistics types would be opposed to stacking as it forces unstacking and restacking to get to boxes that aren't on top.

A shelf for everything and everything on it's shelf.

The crush strength of the wall (determines the box wall thickness for single wall, double wall, etc.) is defined by the end user. ASTM has the most thorough corrugated fiber box specs.

ASTM D3951
ASTM D4169
ASTM D1185
ASTM D4727 <--probably the one you're looking for
ASTM D5118 <--second one you probably should read
ASTM D6199
ASTM D6253

--Scott

Gonna respond to my own message with a little more detail and some insight with regards to what I have found researching my problem.

Some more background/detail. Our warehouse receives, stores, and ships many products to include those that my company is not the design authority. So my question is not in how to design a box. The boxes full of stuff show up with no input from me. The dilemma is; How does one apply a quantifiable and repeatable process that allows the floor worker to ascertain how many boxes/pallets can be stacked upon one another?

What I have found is that for the most part, corrugated containers are certified in accordance with National Motor Freight Classification, Item 222. As such the boxes come with stamps that either include ECT (edge crush test) or Burst test data. The good news is that ECT data is directly relatable to the compression strength of the container and calculating how many boxes can be stacked upon another is straight forward. For boxes that only have Burst test data, no direct correlation is available that I can find.

So the question is, Is there any formula or methodology others use to determine how high the boxes can be stacked before reaching and unsafe limit (related to compression/failure of the box)? Or does everyone just leave it up to the shipping/receiving Forman to say " that looks bout right".

Again thanks in advance.

Lacking any skill or knowledge of the field, my first >guess< would limit the stack height to that of a truck's interior.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

How much weight is actually in each box is one important unspecified variable. I've seen boxes labelled "stack no more than X high". It would depend on the design of the box, what is in it, and how it is stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back