Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crygonic Draining

Status
Not open for further replies.

thalathb

Chemical
Oct 6, 2006
QA
Hi every body,

Does any one have any experience of "Crygonic Draining system" and how it works. I have a Crygonic system and I must to design a draining system for it!!!?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drain means allowing liquids to flow from a high point to a low point. Cryogenic means cold, very cold.

So, you must engineer as sysytem that slopes to a low point, that can with stand the temperature (and pressure) of the liquid, and take into account that liquids can turn to solids at low temperatures.

Just to add to dcasto's points:

-Before using the drain system you need to get it dry, otherwise during use water and CO2 will freeze out onto the piping and possibly (depending on line size) plug up the works.
-You need a heat sink on the other end to vaporize the cryogenic liquid. Air is a heat sink, but only small flows can be safely routed to the ground. Any large sustained flows must be vaporized using some energy input (atmospheric vaporizer, forced air, etc)
-Fogging will be an issue in the area of the drain outlet, keep in mind for facility siting (roads, walkways, neighbors).
-Be aware of the asphyxiation risks when routing the drain discharge, a small amount of cryogenic liquid becomes a large amount of gas.

cryogenic liquid? Do you mean liquid such as LNG, Liquid N2...
These liquid can be easily vaporized before you can collect them, depend on your cold insulation specification. Heat leak into the drain pipe can heat it up. It is not easy to freeze those liquid to freezing point. Once they are in the drain line, no cooling medium can cool them further.

You may need to have a drum to collect them and pump back to your system. If the quantity is not much, maybe you can consider to flare it or release it to atm (N2) under controlled rate. Hope my points here make sense to your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back