Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cryogenic Valve Seat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFV5

Materials
Jan 13, 2009
US
Has anybody tried Vespel for Cryogenic valve seats? Any comments on the performance is most welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I can understand, FFV5 question is not about cryogenic extension bonnets (meant to take the valve stem sealing system away from the cold fluid), but about the internal, main sealing system (seat and obturator) of the valve.

Regards,
'NGL

FFV5,
I have used Vespel for valve seats but only in nuclear applications where the cost could be justified. These applications were typical power plant valves at water and steam temperatures.

We have made thousands of globe cold box valves and the typical valve soft seat material is Kel-F PCTFE (PolyChloroTriFluoroEthylene). The characteristics are very similar to PTFE but there is some marginal flexability at cryogenic temperatures.

Kel-F was developed by 3M but the only remaining source is Daikin Industries in Japan.
Hope this helps,
ABScott

Yup Thanks abscott for your comments. I was choosing between Vespel and Kel-F. Our internal tests has revealed that the coefficient of thermal expansion of Kel-F is more unpredictable as compared to Vespel. In addition, Vespel seems to be able to take a higher pressure. I thought it might be sutable to be use for high pressure cryogenic valve seats but I would like to gather some reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back