Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS2 Distribution in Natural Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRE

Chemical
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Any leads where I can find the distribution of sulfur species, more specifically of carbon disulfide (CS2) in natural gas??

Interested in knowing if there's data (perhaps through GPA) that would show the content of H2S, mercaptans, COS, and CS2 being fed to a sweetening process when the H2S is low. For example, if you have <5 ppm H2S in the inlet, would you expect that CS2 would be less, more, or same as H2S content??

The million dollar question is do I design for CS2 removal when my gas analysis indicates sulfur components of 3.6 ppmv H2S, 1.8 ppmv mercaptan, and COS less than 0.01 ppmv while CS2 data is indicated as "N/A" to less than 1 ppmv. The gas mol% consists of ~85% C1, 2% C2, 0.41% C3, 11% CO2, 0.65% N2 with the remaining being C4+.

I am aware of some of CS2 removal technologies such as specialty solvents or solid bed catalysts to remove the CS2.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RRE,

I am interested in the same question. For me it seems as if CS2 is more a virtual component and therefore more of theoretical importance rather than of any practical meaning.

But similar to you, I am still searching for one proof. Currently, I have checked the feed gas composition of 10 LNG-plants where H2S and mercaptans are present, but none reported any CS2. Mabye not analysed or not present ???

Volker

CS2 may be removed via regenerable adsorbents such as Almatis (formerly Alcoa) Selexsorb COS. I have not seen CS2 being much of an issue in natural gas. It comes up more frequently in ethylene where is csan get formed during processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back