Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CSA A23.3-14 D.6 Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
Recently when running an epoxy rebar anchor for tension in Hilti I came across a procedure in their design calcs that appear to be pretty ambiguos with the code. When calculating steel resistance of an anchor in tension, Hilti refers to equation D.2 which Nsar = Ase * phi[sub]s[/sub]*f[sub]uta[/sub]*R. The sentence below this in the annex D puts f[sub]uta[/sub] as being equal to 1.9*f[sub]ya[/sub], however Hilti appears to take the f[sub]uta[/sub] from the G30.18 rebar standard. Logically this makes sense to do, but I am curious as to why that decision was made when the code does not explicitly indicate to do that. If I were to run this check by hand, I would not be given any instruction to go find this information and would likely just apply 1.9*f[sub]ya[/sub]. Further, Hilti treats R as 0.7, treating rebar as a brittle steel element. In contrast, Simpson Anchor takes R as 0.8; rebar as a ductile steel element.

The inconsistency behind the design calculations is making me wonder if they are just overly conservative. Perhaps someone here has pondered this in the past.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm looking at Chapter 17 of the ACI 318-14 => 17.4.1.2 states:
ACI 318-14 said:
f[sub]uta[/sub] shall not be taken greater than the smaller of 1.9*f[sub]ya[/sub] and 125,000psi

Then looking at the commentary:
ACI318-14 Commentary said:
The limitation of 1.9*f[sub]ya[/sub] on f[sub]uta[/sub] is to ensure that, under service load conditions, the anchor does not exceed f[sub]ya[/sub]. ... Although not a concern for standard structural steel anchors (maximum value of futa/fya is 1.6 for ASTM A307), the limitation is applicable to some stainless steels.

I think you should always be using the actual f[sub]uta[/sub] for your anchor design, and then verifying that it doesn't exceed either of those limits.

American, not Canadian (I am assuming you're Canadian), your code may vary, standard disclaimer, yadda yadda...

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back