Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSA standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDL90958

Electrical
Jan 17, 2002
CA
All,

A relatively new CSA standard (1999) has been developed from the IEC standards for LV switchgear and control gear - part 1 general rules! before i purchase the standard i would like to know how this interacts with CSA 22.2 No. 31 for switchgear assemblies? and what changes have been made?

There are another set of E catagory CSA standards for electrical equipment in hazourdous areas and the CSA people tell me the technical content has not changed - though they have not returned my call on the latter!

I tried to get a direct answer from them with respect to there intentions of introducing standardised standards and when they will be introduced. i.e. could i buy IEC rated swithchgear that will be in line with CSA standards at the point of commissioning.

anyone familiar with this?

G

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow, excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't even aware of these E standards. (I looked at the lineup on their website) Do these standards supercede c22.2, or do they both apply, or are they optional?

Gordon,Not sure but it is my intention to have a word with one of the guyz at CSA - i have been given a number to contact a guy. if you go to the CSA.ca you can select us and international in products and services and type in e947-1 in the search (or E79 hazourdous)to see the titles but no note of changes.

my reason unclarity is this doc is titled general rules and therefore one can only summise they are going to modify some of the technical ones i.e. part 2 etc - i'll let you know the outcome of my conversation. this is all particularly confusing as this is my first time working in north america.

G

What you are referring to as E standards are standards for equipment for classified areas. Remember, Canada has adopted the zone system for class I locations instead of the divisions (NFPA). Those 'E' standards are based on IEC standards and they are some changes. As far as I know, these are not specific for switchgears and nothing to do with No. 31. You should not install switchgears in hazardous locations anyway.

If you are specifying switchgears, you may interested in the EEMAC standards in addition to C22.2 No. 31.

Coolfish,

If you lookup CAN/CSA -E947-1 Lowvoltage switchgear and control gear part 1 general rules on the CSA website you will see that they have adopted this standard from IEC 947 1996. The question is are they going to adopt further IEC standards and how does this standard interact with CSA 22.2 No 31 switchgear assemblies - they cannot contradict one another - but before i go and spend money on buying the standards i would like to have an indication of the canadian deviations.

Also i do not intend to put switchgear in a hazerdous area -i was referring to these other adopted IEC standards to make the point of a trend towards adopting IEC standards across the board.

Thanx for the advice on EEMAC

G

Have you tried checking with the manufacturers like Federal Pioneer, Cutler-Hammer, Blenkhorne and Sawle, etc? Usually the manufacturers have representatives sitting on the committees for each CSA standard. Since they are the ones building the gear, they usually know what is happening with the standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back