Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CSI Etabs/SAFE FEM REbar Contour Export 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidAtkins

Structural
Apr 12, 2024
GB

Hopefully you can shed some light into this.
I have a significant project that would require us to intensely use SAFE/Etabs to analyse and design slabs/walls for the structures and I are keen to understand if there are functionalities that allow us to complete the design of a slab within CSI Etabs/SAFE.
I am interested in extracting the rebar area information in units of mm²/m. My aim is to utilise this data for further processing from excel and the to our auto drawing generator tool.

Is that possible? I can seem to find the option in SAFE/ETabs to export the FEM based Rebar Area Contours.

Thanks
David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for providing this file DavidAtkins. I am trying to use the API feature through C# language to see if I can extract the FEM results. However, my SAFE free version does not support it currently. Would be curious and happy to take a look at it on your PC, if that works, through zoom or teams during the weekend - seems like it might work but cannot guarantee - will have to dig a bit deeper and get hands dirty (also because it's a significant project for you).

-Just a curious engineer

I do not - I need to look at the documentation for SAFE and see what API functions they provide first and what arguments these functions need. I do not have this documentation.

-Just a curious engineer

After a quick review of the API for SAFE, I do not see anything immediately available that would give access to contour plot type results like rebar densities.

SAFE_API_ffqitn.png

S&T

You could draw 1 ft design strips in both directions, export those, and treat that as your contour (i.e. that's your steel per foot). Or even more granular, say 6". I've spent a lot of time battling safe. I'd be wary of designing based on the contours or anything other than their design strip output. The design that comes out of the strips includes axial forces, wood armer moments, etc. I don't think the fem contours include this. I am not 100% sure now but I know that I went through this several years ago and found this discrepancy. In general it seems nuts that we should need to write our own tools for doing design with either of these programs unless it's very atypical or that's just your thing. The info is already baked into their programs and they've got a team of programmers that presumably could do it far better than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back