Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSWP Test very off base in my opinion 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitaniumLeg

Industrial
Jan 23, 2007
US
I took the CSWP test and I was disappointed in the overall format. I have never used the default SW hotkeys so why would I know what hotkeys do what (multiple choice). Can you use the flex and deform commands on the same part? No idea, never used either one. Never got to the assembly or drawing parts because I spent a bunch of time on a SW provided model to fix and the model was corrupted, even the instructor could not fix it. I got the actual modeling parts perfect and the assy and drawing sections would not have been an issue if there would have been time to do them. Seems to me that the test should be two different tests. One directed toward someone who primarily does industrial design (consumer products) and one directed towards mechanical design (building machines). I have been using SW for over 3 years on a daily basis and can usually do whatever needs to be done without issues. I am a mechanical designer and will probably never change fields to building telephones and toilets. In fact, I think it would be a better description of your skills to be able to be certified in different fields of SW expertise (sheetmetal, molds/dies, weldments, mechanical design, industrial design, etc.) I believe that there are many people out there that have a very focused line of work and those people should be able to be certified for those fields. Some things do cross over, like assembly modeling and drawings. Those are things that would be common to all tests. The way it stands now is someone who has no idea how to make a weldment could easily pass the test if they know other aspects of SW.

Did I fail - Yep, I sure did ($300 bucks down the drain). Honestly I not complaining because I failed but now that I have taken it, I do not believe that it is a good meausre of someones SW actual skills. It's just too broad. Maybe there could also be a CSWPM (Certified Solidworks Professional Master) for those people who work with all the aspects and functionality of SW.

Comments welcome....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Patricia - Thanks for pointing that out. It's a quote from one of Footballs greatest players George Best. The other thing is a cyclist :) hence my handle Heckler

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back