Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CTE and elastic modulus of epoxy resin and AS4 carbon fiber as a function of temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

gianlucaelle

Mar 5, 2014
ES
Hello,
I am struggling to get data for the transverse CTE and modulus of AS4 carbon fibers and Hexcel 8552 epoxy resin as a function of temperature. Do you know where could I get such data?
Thanks for your answer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing at NIAR that I could spot (I was actually looking for some glass info so my eyes may not have been correctly attuned).

There's some numbers in this paper for carbon/PEEK. Looking at PEEK's properties the results won't be mile out from epoxy.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=25f9c5ec-7c3e-413d-b9ee-c6241652ae0c&file=Thermal_expansion_CTE_characteristics_of_carbon-PEEK_composites,_BARNES_et_al_1991.pdf
Not really a sales pitch here, but we can do that experiment for you. What type of temperature range are you looking for? We perform CTE tests via a comparative strain gage technique from 4 K to 390K.

Mark Haynes
Senior Engineer
Composite Technology Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back