Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ctrl-B vs Ctrl Q 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimijames

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2002
US
Just curious: Anyone know the difference between a 'force rebuild' (ctrl-Q) and a regular rebuild (ctrl-B or on the menu or the traffic signal looking button)? A force rebuild seems to be more thorough, as the name would suggest...if I have something that doesn't respond to a regular rebuild a force rebuild usually does the trick. A force rebuild isn't as publicized either (I stumbled upon it in the API). I pretty much do all my rebuilds now as a force rebuild (easy left hand command vs mouse clicking).

So what is the difference to Solidworks between the two?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forced rebuild (also called forced regeneration) "causes a complete rebuild of all the features in the model" (from page 5-19 of the SW 1999 manual). Ctrl+B only rebuilds new or changed features and their children.

Er... FWIW,
"Force Rebuild" Is not that :) The true force rebuild comes only from the API as far as I know. CTRL+Q rebuilds ONLY THE TOP LEVEL of asm's. It does not rebuild "down into" sub asm's etc. Now, if you do some reading on rebuild in the API you will see that by using a macro you can get a "true" force rebuild. That will rebuild EVERYTHING. CTRL+Q is nice. However, for flaked out models, and "funny mate problems" it is not as good of a solver as a macro rebuilding everything in the file. Following is my "force rebuild" macro. CTRL+Q does the same thing however, the boolean would be true instead of false when you use a CTRL+Q.

Set swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application")
Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc
swApp.DisplayStatusBar True
Part.WindowRedraw
Part.GraphicsRedraw2
Part.ForceRebuild3 False 'make note of this line
swApp.DisplayStatusBar False
Part.WindowRedraw

This can take a while to complete on large asm's. However, it has managed to deal with flaked out mates and models many times. Personaly I don't use the rebuild button anymore. I have a hotkey for CTRL+Q that I use to rebuild any time I want to rebuild. Then if needed I can use this force rebuild macro to rebuild everything when needed.

Regards,

Sean F
Mechanical Engineer
seanf@newing-halll.com
1 2 many l's in e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back