Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ctrl-tab command

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHadfield

Aerospace
Dec 17, 2013
CA
Hi,

I would like to creat a command to shift window like in solidworks with the ctrl-tab cmd. Can anyone help me with that?

thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What exactly to you mean by 'Shift Windows'? I suspect I know what you're asking for but I want you to hear you say it first so that there's no question about what it is that you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

OK, it WAS what I expected.

NO, NX does not support a so-called 'multi-document' environment. While we are well aware of what this is, this is currently not possible with NX.

That being said, we are however very interested in what the level of interest might be for something like this, so if this really is a 'hot-button' with you (or anyone else for that matter who might be reading this thread), please feel free to contact GTAC and have them open an ER to that effect.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

First thing in the morning I will be opening and ER for this and the other missing ability I just stumbled on today. I want to be able to open multiple files from the File-Open dialog by doing the normal Shift-Pick of all the relevant files I want to open. And then be able to cycle through them using CTRL-TAB. :)

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX8.5.1.3
TC8.3 in Testing
6 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro FX4800

Hello Ryan.

When done can you please state the ER over here...
I will hook on to it...

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
Cad Environment Coordinator
Wärtsilä, Propulsion Services
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

As of right now it's IR# 7106084 "NX Multi-Document Environment Enhancement"

Khimani,
You are correct, you can open up multiple files with TeamCenter, but in Native (when we are opening customers data) you don't have that option. I had several files for a customer I needed to look at yesterday and thanks to muscle memory I tried to open them all up at once. Doesn't work. They were all similar parts, but to tell the actual difference in them, instead of using CTRL-TAB to quickly cycle through them, I ended up having to print them all out.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor

Solid Edge V20
NX8.5.1.3
TC8.3 in Testing

Now ER Number 6719736 Use CTRL-TAB to switch between open part files

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor

Solid Edge V20
NX8.5.1.3
TC8.3 in Testing

John, i can understand that there might be technical difficulties in a "multi document environment",
but, all these guys want is a hotkey for Window - "make the next part in the list the displayed part", and that should not be the same technical issue ?

I tried to set a hotkey , see attached image, and the amazing thing is that it "sticks" to the last file opened in the session.

Regards,
Tomas

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e0179223-c15a-4a18-a87b-a421556af48e&file=window_hotkey.png
Doesn't NX list all open parts under the Windows tab, where you can select and make the selected part your display part?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Not exactly, it only lists the parts which have been displayed during the current session and which are currently still loaded. When you open an Assembly, ALL of the Component parts are loaded and they are technically 'open' in the session, but only the Top level assembly will automatically be shown in the 'Window' drop-down menu. Granted, there's an option that will take you to where you will see the entire list, but that requires an additional action.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back