Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cu Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampi

Chemical
Jun 22, 2005
ZA
Hi all.

I am in search of a liquid with for following application:

I have a PC board covered with 100micron Cu layer. I want a liquid to map/draw/print and circit on the Cu. It have to adhere to the Cu. There after I want to use FeCl3 to dissolve the copper not covered by the "liquid". Then I want to remove the liquid from the Cu.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Sampi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many supplies for making and developing photosensitive PCB in low volume used to be made by Kepro. Their supplies and chemcials are now available from:
If you want to make a circuit board, there are many places where PCB boards pre covered with a photo-sensitive resist are available including places like
However, if you have a special material you are trying to etch, I would try the Dalpro materials or do a Google search to find a film or photosensitive chemical for coating your material.

Electrolube make an aerosol photoresist which is reasonably amenable to hobbyist and prototyping applications. They also market most of the other materials like FeCl[sub]3[/sub] and NaOH developer. The UV light source is the trickiest to arrange - I used to use a couple of small UV tubes in a box with crumpled bacofoil as a reflector and a sheet of translucent Perspex as a diffuser.

A laser printer printing onto acetate is the best way of getting an artwork to use in a photo-etching application if you can't get access to a proper Gerber photoplotter.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

I recently discovered that tracing paper makes a wonderful replacement for acetate sheet when used with laser printers.

The tone adheres much more readily, because it's paper, and I seem to get far fewer pinholes.

With the correct UV exposure timing I get wonderfully solid tracks and pads.

Not my own idea, but one which I found on the web.

I think I saw it in this forum. Actually you can use just a plain laser printer. You print on a paper what you want to print (flipped image), you iron the paper onto the PCB. The toner will fuse again and deposit on the copper. The toner is resistent enough for the etchant. The trick is in the type of paper, so that it will not retain all the toner. There are people doing pcb prototypes like this and get good results!

Look at this link:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back