Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cul-De-Sac with Right-In Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

msulla71

Civil/Environmental
Jul 11, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,

I am doing a Feasibility Study for a small town, and am investigating about the town's request to close an existing T-intersection and turning it into a Cul-De-Sac, but still maintaining a Right-In access (from the top part of the T-Intersection) making it look like a d-intersection (with emphasis on the "small d" for those who still have good penmanship). It's tough to describe and I wish I was able to post a picture of the sketch, so if anyone can make sense of what I described, please give me your input. I am looking to see if it is feasible (again, this is for a Feasibiltiy Study) and/or if it has been done. If you are not able to help out, then at the very least I hope I tickled your funny bone.

Have a great day!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is unclear (to me) whether the access is "Right in" to the destination, or "Right in" to the cul from the traffic generator.
What is volume of traffic in cul and in access leg?
What is purpose of changing T intersection to cul? Is there a large U-turn component? Is visibility OK?

Is there school bus activity? Parking in cul envisioned?

As a concept, it seems to be same as a cul with a driveway at 10:00 oclock.

I believe concept is OK, but acceptability depends on the details.

If I understand your description, I've seen something similar in a neighborhood-wide traffic calming effort (can't recall the town). They took a number of 2-way streets and dead-ended them for one direction, but allowed traffic to come off the arterial into the street. This forced entry onto the arterial to be from a more controlled locaation (e.g.; a signal) and cut down on turning movements.

I recall it having a good influence on traffic flows, accidents and neighborhood speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back