Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cultivator Shank Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBMI

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2009
CA
Anybody know what material cultivator shanks are made of? I'm thinking its SAE 5160. Do you know who manufactures shanks or where the material could be purchased. Somewhere in Canada would be best.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe 5160 is a common material for this usage. Youcould go down to the local farm/home/fleet store and inquire about them to get a manufacturers name.

When I worked for CaseIH I did a lot of the development for the 4300/5800 series of field cultivators. We didn't change the field cultivator shanks much, but the chisel plow shanks were new from the ground up. I don't know what material it was, but I cut a couple of the chisel plow shanks with a band saw no problem. The shank was an edge-on design, so the mounting for the sweep had to be forged to provide the necessary shape and mounting area. While it was hot we also punched two ~5/8" holes for the upper mounting. I doubt they would pay for something too exotic. Obviously you need strength, but you also want some impact toughness and wear resistance.

ISZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back