Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Culvert installation into running streambed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerrogers

Computer
Feb 25, 2009
US
We would like to install a culvert in a running streambed, in order to provide better access to a back lot on a farm.

The stream is small, I don't know flow rates, etc, but I would say it is 2 inches deep, 18" wide, at the most. The flow rate doesn't appear to change dramatically, even after large rains, as the stream originates not far from where we need to cross and isn't fed by a major run-off.

The creek bed is somewhat marshy, with really solid soil starting about 5' on either side. This is the best point for crossing, otherwise we'd try to find a place with drier surrounds.

With that context, we are curious to know what we should do to stabilize the creek bed prior to installing the culvert. The culvert size we are planning to install is 36". Should we put a certain kind of gravel in? Should we install the culvert parallel to the stream and then divert the stream to flow through the culvert, giving us a drier working area? Should we surround the culvert with gravel, or just backfill with soil from the vicinity? How much soil should we cover the culvert with in order to cross the culvert with heavy farm equipment, including excavators?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as this is a DIY project and we don't have much experience.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes fatdad

If this work is upstream from some folks who like to call regulatory agencies perhaps rogerrogers may get some company.

But surely placing a CMP in to cross a stream would not warrant corps involvement, "mitigation", Individual Permit. Come on.

If farmers got the agencies involved everytime they put a cross pipe in it would be a little bit ridiculous, wouldn't it?

I agree with cvg, use a good road grade backfill up to the haunches, well tamped into place. I use HDPE ("plastic") pipe under parking lots with truck loadings all the time, I specify that they throughly tamp the haunches. Agricultural activites are exempt from many wetlands / permitting requirements, especially if the upstream drainage area is minimal. Just put it in and stabilize everything as quickly as possible.

But surely placing a CMP in to cross a stream would not warrant corps involvement, "mitigation", Individual Permit. Come on.

Not so harsh please. We don't know what state the OP is in, we don't have any drawings, the idea of a stream crossing for an excavator and multiple culverts may imply something that has some width and there could be associated wetlands in the riparian buffer. Then again, I may be incorrect. I brought up the topic, but it doesn't feel right to be seemingly discredited. You can take any position you want and it's fine with me.

Regarding the pipe backfill: The service load from trucks, excavators and the like are not supported by the pipe, per se. There is load transferred to the pipe and for the pipe to deform the soil on the sides of the pipe has to yield. Folks have already mentioned that the intimate contact of the compacted backfill below the spring line is critical. So, if you don't have a stable subgrade and muddy conditions at or below the haunches, you'll be inviting problems. Another consideration is the amount of soil fill above the top of the pipe. Several feet being much better than several inches and such.

Regarding agricultural work v. commercial work - not sure of the distinctions in the eyes of the local environmental agencies and the US Corps of Engineers. If permitting is required there may be some state permit or nationwide permit to assist (i.e., simplify).

Good luck.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

fat dad

My apologies sir, I should have included an emoticon. My intentions were non-malicious, but rather directed at my frustration towards the current regulatory agency process.

You are absolutely correct in directing the OP to local and federal guidelines regarding any construction that affects Waters of the U.S. Hoagie mentioned a USACE nationwide 39; a nationwide 14 may be better suited for this work with regard to Notification requirements.

Further more, you are also correct in stating the obvious about the unknown location of proposed culvert installment. Many states have more stringent rules about this type of work due to unique and apparent circumstances, which certainly is germane to this application.

The last 20 years I have witnessed large sums of money spent to satisfy someones interpretation of EPA guidelines.

[banghead]

Drumchaser: thanks for the reply - hope I wasn't too touchy, but cyberland is so different from real life, eh?

OP: There's some good stuff to consider on this thread. Hope it all helps and your project works out great!

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back